The 2008 Team

The 2008 Team

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Neil: Top Three Things I Remember Most About Japan

It’s my first time to be in Japan and after spending barely 2 weeks in this country, my mind is already filled with so many good memories. I definitely will always remember this place as the land of sushi – where you can get it fresh and delicious even from a convenience store like Yaoko, 7-11, or at Costco – for a very inexpensive price. But anyway, here’s my top three:

1. VBS Kids and their Moms. I don’t have any experience working with kids but I’m very surprised that these cute and adorable kids are so well behaved. They are so eager to learn and some of them even do the VBS songs at home – even though they don’t understand some of the lyrics. But they certainly know how to have fun such as how to play the duck duck goose and how to hit their favorite teachers with water balloons, etc. After spending just 4 days with them at TMK –VBS, our team already felt so close to these kids that we very much wanted to bring them home with us. I also remember their Moms who patiently waited for them and even helped in preparing the snacks and the food for our BBQ party. Some of them even helped Richard in the translation – for some difficult words. On our way to the Airport, I was deeply touched when two Moms came to say goodbye and when one of them said to me that they will be waiting for us next year.

2. The Missionaries and their Families in Japan. I am very thankful for Richard and Keri Nakamura, Jon and Chieko Reasoner, Kohichi and Shirley Tamura, Joy dela Cruz, and the Bowens at Lighthouse Cadence. It’s an honor and a great privilege to know these folks. I certainly admire their passion to reach out to the Japanese people even when the results seem a little bit discouraging sometimes. I love Keri’s curry, yummy. Richard, thanks for all the prayer walks and for bringing us to Onsen. Chieko, thanks for the BBQ and for your hospitality. Jon, thanks for bringing us to the Museum and sharing your insights about the history of Japan. Koichi and Shirley, thanks for the wonderful dessert, yummy! Joy dela Cruz, for giving me updates about the plight of Filipino women in Japan. The Bowens, for the tasty pan cakes with lots of brown sugar and cream, very yummy. For all the misisonaries: you and your kids are truly a great blessing to all of us!

3. The NBF and TMK Team. I think this batch of 18 members are all amazing – each was doing their assigned tasks with gladness as well as helping each other in any way they can. I especially remember how Patti helped me cook my Ramen for my dinner, and how Sharon offered her flip flops to Jasmine because she had swollen feet after walking several miles under the hot, humid, blistering sun, with her new tight fitting shoes. I’m also grateful for Ev for helping Jasmine cope with her motion sickness on the train. Heather, for showing us how to do the stilts. Hey, this blog will become too long, so I just say that I’m very thankful for everyone, especially Mei-Ling and Patti for doing a great job heading the two teams!

Before the trip, I thought that mission is more about sharing something about yourself to reach out to other people so that they would come to know God. But in this trip, I learned that it’s also about getting touched by God – through the kids, their moms, our teammates, and the missionaries who are faithfully serving in Japan and through answered prayers. For this, I really thank God for this rich and wonderful experience.

Thanks everyone for your prayers and for making this trip possible for all of us!

No comments: