The 2008 Team

The 2008 Team

Friday, August 15, 2008

Kelly - Reflections on Japan

As I sit here reflecting on the trip, what comes to my heart is sadness, a deeper understanding and desire to be supportive of the missionaries there, and a growing desire to be intentional about pushing back the darkness that is there in Japan. These all come from the realization that since my last "missions" trip to Japan 25 years ago, little has changed spiritually. The scene of a mom rigorously teaching her 4 or 5 year old son how to offer incense and how to wash before entering the budhist temple repeatedly plays in my mind. Unless he has a chance to attend something like a VBS, this may be all he knows. Technologically and "fashionably" the Japanese are soo "up-to-date". But sadly to say, spiritually, they are still doing what they've done for generations. Biblical references about generational sins have taken on a new reality for me.

I have a deeper understanding that the battle for the Japanese heart is truly a spiritual one. One that will take perseverance and patience - hence my realization that I need to keep Richard and Keri, Jon and Chieko, Shirley and Koichi, Joy, Tina, and the Bowdens in constant prayer. Prayer that their hearts are soo close to God, that they will know where and when they need to be somewhere so they can plant just one more seed within someones heart.

Intentionality on my part will mean me being more committed to Japan while here in the US. Trying to keep in contact with those in Japan so I can pray for specific opportunities. Maybe even looking into hosting a Japanese student... praying for next year and ways we can expand our opportunities to interact with the families as well as the children.

I have many other memories I will cherish from this trip, from a hug from Amy, to throwing a bucket of water at Richard, oh, and should I mention the bird poop...

By His Grace,

1 comment:

KST said...

Kelly and Sharon,

When you get an answer to your prayers about hosting a Japanese student, please let me know. I would like to talk.

Thankful for you both!

-Shirley