The 2008 Team

The 2008 Team

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Richard Nakamura's reflections

As I reflect back on the 2008 Lighthouse Summer Mission’s Team to Japan, I can’t help but smile (laugh) and thank God for sending such quality people to Japan. It reminded me of the team Lighthouse sent to Japan several years back – quality people, humbly serving others, willing to do anything, and shining for Jesus.

I was glad that Lighthouse was going to send two teams to Japan. One to follow up last year’s Nokendai ministry and the other one to help the Nakamuras. It so happens that during our first year back in Japan, the Nakamura kids were able to make friendships around the SEND Center, while we were looking for housing. The Reasoner Family, who ministers at the Center, had been following up with these children through various events. We thought a VBS program would be perfect to continue in that outreach.

Because we were contacted by Lighthouse early on, I was able to make reservations for housing at the SEND Center. Everyone was going to fit, even the additional Nokendai team for the first night. I was shocked to discover that the situation with housing changed due to unavoidable circumstances with SEND. Initially, I panicked and got quite upset, but the Lord settled me down and I began to give the situation to Him. In the course of planning, I arranged for the teams to stay at our home in Kashiwa and added prayer walks in our area to the itinerary. This may not have happened if everything worked out to stay the whole time at the Center. I look back and praise God for his guidance. One of my highlights was to have these teams join me in spiritual warfare in my area of Tokyo. We prayer walked a LOT, but not one complaint. Even Kelly, with his sore swollen knees, always had a positive word and a godly perspective. I believe the real work of the ministry starts with prayers like these.

I look back at the VBS program and all the time and effort that went into planning and preparing for the trip and I find myself in awe. A lot of work went into this. I also realize that a whole support team from home helped pay for and pray for this ministry.
I want to thank the dear brothers and sisters from Lighthouse (and elsewhere) for your partnership in reaching the Japanese for Christ. We Nakamuras also felt we made great friendships. Your hearts were truly joined with our desire to spread the Gospel in Japan. The Reasoners were also encouraged by the Lighthouse team. They have been freely sharing with other SEND missionaries of the blessings they received. They also desire to see another Lighthouse team come and minister at their church.
They long to see a breakthrough in that area of Higashi Tokorozawa and realize that teams like this can make a difference.

The kids responded very well at the VBS. Even though they didn’t understand the words of the songs, they sang with gusto and enthusiastically did the hand motions.
Every part of the VBS, the songs, crafts, story, skits, games, etc. were all used by the Lord to give the program a well balanced, fun atmosphere. I believe each child went home satisfied and glad that they came. The mothers who participated also enjoyed themselves. It was great to see the interaction with these mothers and the team. They were very interested to know what each member did as their occupation. They were impressed that the Lighthouse members used their vacation to serve at the church in Japan. I believe they sensed the love of Christ through each member. It was great to see the Lord use each member with their various gifts. All of this makes it easier to follow up with each child and family.

I feel though that the Nakamura family benefited the most. Words cannot adequately express how thankful we are. The team felt like family. Through this, we feel closer to the Lighthouse body. We are excited about what is happening at the church. We are honored to be a part of Lighthouse as one of your missionaries. Thank you for blessing us so much.

With much love,

Richard and Keri Nakamura
Alisha, Brandon, Hanna, Kayla and Nathan too

No comments: